Image Name Use A Dehumidifier To Keep Your Body & Home Healthy

Use A Dehumidifier To Keep Your Body & Home Healthy

Your home can be a breeding ground for tons of different bacterias and fungi. One of the most dangerous silent killers in your home is mold. Mold can cause symptoms such as eye irritation, wheezing, skin irritations, or nasal stuffiness. In 2004, there was evidence to link indoor air exposure to mold, with upper respiratory tract symptoms by the Institute of Medicine. To ensure that you aren’t constantly exposed to mold or to keep the mold from growing or spreading, keep your home moisture-free with a dehumidifier.

How Does Mold Grow?

Aspergillus in black and white.

Mold is naturally in our environment and can be found literally everywhere. It isn’t usually an issue unless it starts to grow indoors. A few of the most common types of indoor mold are:

  • Aspergillus
  • Alternaria
  • Penicillium
  • Cladosporium

In order for mold to grow and spread uncontrollably, it needs to be located in a very moist environment. This is why it is best that you keep your home well ventilated, especially in shower and cooking areas. High areas of mold exposure can include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Farms
  • Mills
  • Construction sites
  • Summer cottages
  • Saunas
  • Antique shops
  • Flower shops

Keeping Mold Controlled

Concrete bathroom with, tile sink with drawers, bath tub in silver color near to the glass window, wooden closet to the right side.

There are several ways you can keep mold from appearing in your home. One of the most effective ways is to keep the humidity low with a dehumidifier. This device helps take the humidity out of whatever room in your home that it is placed in. The room should be lower than 50% humidity to keep mold from growing.

If you see that you have a mold problem, you can try to contain it by cleaning up the spots with commercial products, soap, and water, or a mild bleach. If you use bleach, it should be no more than 1 cup of laundry bleach to 1 gallon of water. Once it is remedied, keep the dehumidifier in the room where it grew to ensure that it does not spread or come back.

How It Affects You If Left Untreated

Sick woman lying down at the couch, blowing her nose with a tissue.

Mold can have serious health effects if you are exposed to it for long periods of time. If you are using a certain room for deep breathing exercises or meditation, it can cause an allergic reaction because mold produces allergens. You may experience sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes, a skin rash, and it may seem like hay fever at first. If you experience any of these symptoms, but cannot find an immediate cause, check your home for mold.

Mold can also cause asthma attacks in those who may already have asthma or a mold allergy. It can irritate the throat and lungs even more. This can be life-threatening if the mold triggers an attack. If you want to get rid of allergies right now, make sure that your home is mold-free.


A healthy home is a happy home, and if your home is filled with mold, it’s not healthy. It is best to check damp spaces frequently and keep that dehumidifier running. When you are in the zone with your meditation, yoga, or other breathing exercises, you may not realize what is lurking around you. So, keep your body healthy and keep the mold away with the proper precautions.

Related Posts