We know that finding the right shampoo for your own hair can be a bit of a struggle, but that’s nothing compared to what parents go through in order to find the right shampoo for their babies. It might seem counterintuitive since adults have plenty of hair and babies have almost none, but the truth is that the baby’s scalp is way more sensitive compared to that of an adult. That makes it increasingly more difficult to find a product that cleanses, but also has a baby-safe formula.
5 Best Natural Shampoo for Babies Comparisons
|Weleda Shampoo||Check The Price|
|Puracy Shampoo||Check The Price|
|Babyganics Shampoo||Check The Price|
|BareBaby Shampoo||Check The Price|
|Honest Company Shampoo||Check The Price|
Baby Shampoo Shopping Considerations
If you ever believed that reading the label of the products you buy is unnecessary, things are about to change once you become a parent. The label is, in fact, one of the best indicators that the product you’re buying matches the standards you’ve set in relationship to baby products. And shampoos are no exception.
When it comes to caring for that adorable little head, keep in mind that:
- You don’t want a shampoo that uses chemicals and dyes. Some parents also like to steer clear of shampoos that contain perfume, because it can irritate the baby’s scalp. It makes sense, since there are plenty of shampoos that take their perfume from natural ingredients, such as essential oils, so there really is no need to take the risk and use a shampoo with perfume on your baby’s scalp.
- Instead, you want to opt for organic and natural shampoos, because you know their ingredients haven’t been imbued or mixed with any toxic chemicals.
- You might want to look into hypoallergenic shampoos as well. They are really great for sensitive skin, and a lot of parents prefer them because all babies have sensitive skin, really.
- When you’re reading the ingredients list, check out the shampoos that contain vitamins. These vitamins will promote hair growth, help protect the scalp, but also aid in hydrating the skin and helping it retain moisture.
The “No Tears” Anesthetic Shampoo Myth
Moms are now going crazy over shampoos that have the “no tears” factor. We feel the need to talk about this type of shampoo for a bit because there’s this urban legend going around that it contains some sort of anesthetic so that it doesn’t sting if it gets in the baby’s eyes.
If that were true, the baby should feel numb after you’ve used such a shampoo on them. In fact, this type of shampoo contains surfactants. Their molecules are attracted to water at one end, and oily substance at the other.
What actually happens is these surfactants reduce the surface tension of a liquid, which results in better spread and penetration. Because of that, the shampoo is then able to remove the sebum from the scalp. Shampoos that are designed for babies have a combination of long-chain surfactants and detergents, which are way less harsh compared to normal ones.
There are some no tears shampoos that are free of ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a surfactant that could irritate the scalp and the eyes. However, sodium lauryl sulfate partially contains palm kernel oil or coconut oil, both of which are really good at cleansing the scalp. If the formula of a certain baby shampoo doesn’t have sodium lauryl sulfate, it means that the product will not be as efficient in removing sebum as the products that do. That doesn’t mean that the shampoo won’t cleanse the hair at all.
Washing the Baby’s Hair
If you are a first time mother, you were probably afraid to hold your baby for the first time. That’s because this small and delicate human being is so fragile, we’re sometimes afraid of not holding them right. When it comes to giving the baby their first bath, things can also get scary. The good news is that you will get the hang of it in no time.
Caring for your baby’s scalp and hair is an important part of making sure the little one is clean and healthy. So, when you’re ready to hit the showers, here are some things you should know about how to properly wash the baby’s head:
- One of the terms that you’ll be hearing about is the cradle cap. This refers to small yellow secretions that make an appearance on the baby’s head. While they may seem worrying, these are actually a result of the baby’s scalp secreting too much sebum, as a result of the mother’s pregnancy hormones. Cradle cap is something that generally goes away with time, and while it may look nasty, it is of no inconvenience to the baby. If you want to make it go away faster, you can massage the baby’s head using almond oil or baby oil.
- If your baby doesn’t have a problem with cradle cap or they don’t tend to sweat a lot in the head region, it’s not required for you to wash your baby’s head every day. If you have a newborn, washing their hair with shampoo is not mandatory, but you should still clean the head using water.
- One of the most convenient ways to bathe your baby is by using a special baby bathtub. To clean the hair, you can use a clean recipient, like a bowl, and fill it with warm water. Alternatively, you can hold the baby in your elbow’s crook and bring their body backward so that you may use your other hand to massage their scalp. To rinse the head of the shampoo, either uses the aforementioned bowl or tilt the baby’s head in the water.
- After you’ve washed the baby’s head, gently tap it try using a soft tower. You can also use a brush that’s specifically designed for babies to brush his hair.
Top 5 Organic Baby Shampoo for Newborns Reviews
With the aforementioned considerations in mind, it’s time to explore some of the best natural shampoos for babies. Keep in mind that what works for someone else’s baby might not work for yours, so don’t get too frustrated if the first product you try doesn’t yield the desired results.
- Key ingredients: calendula flower extract, chamomile flower extract, sweet almond oil
- Good for: sensitive skin, dry hair
- Product quantity: 6.8 oz.
Weleda’s shampoo that can also be used as a body wash has a really powerful, yet natural balance of ingredients as part of its formula. Let’s start off by talking about the calendula flower extract. The soothing properties of this ingredient are perfect for a baby’s sensitive skin. The chamomile flower extract is there to cleanse the scalp and further soothe the skin, while the sweet almond oil is a great ingredient for dry skin.
When these ingredients are brought together, the resulting formula is a great mixture for delicate hair, making sure the scalp will never be irritated. Furthermore, if your baby’s scalp is already irritated, marigold and chamomile are there to calm down these effects.
The formula doesn’t contain any colorants, fragrances, or synthetic preservatives, which means that it’s absolutely safe to use on your little one’s head. Weleda’s shampoo also doubles as a body wash for your baby, as it’s very skin-friendly and nurtures the skin’s protective layer.
Who Should Purchase This?
The Weleda formula is the perfect combination for babies with sensitive scalp and skin, offering parents a 2-in-1 all-natural product they can rely on.
- Shampoo and body wash.
- Made with natural ingredients.
- Good for sensitive skin.
- No chemicals.
- No irritations.
- Some people claim the scent is too strong.
Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
- Key ingredients: pink grapefruit essential oil, sea salt, coconut-based ingredients
- Good for: all skin types, eczema
- Product quantity: 16 oz.
If you are the least bit into natural body products, Puracy is surely a brand you’ve come across in your journeys. It is one of the best brands to try if you want chemical-free products, which is one of the reasons why this natural baby shampoo has made it on our list (that, and the fact that people love it).
The ingredients list is absolutely impressive: it contains different types of coconut-based cleansers, pink grapefruit essential oil, and preservatives that are based on plants and fruit extracts. But aside from being natural, Puracy is also a brand that’s sustainable. The products are biodegradable and contribute towards cleaner water and a better environment.
It is a product developed by doctors, which can be used on babies and toddlers with all sorts of skin types and does particularly well in those who suffer from eczema. The blend of ingredients promises to keep the scalp and the skin clean, while the formula is pH balanced, just as the best skin products should be.
Who Should Purchase This?
The people have spoken (how I love this phrase)! Puracy is the customer favorite baby shampoo, as parents love how the formula cleanses and smells on their baby’s hair and skin. So, if you’re looking for that “buyer approved” product, this is the right one.
- Good for all skin types.
- 2-in-1 formula.
- Sustainable brand.
- Faulty pump.
Babyganics Baby Shampoo + Body Wash
- Key ingredients: sunflower seed oil, tomato seed oil, cranberry seed oil
- Good for: sensitive skin
- Product quantity: 3 x 16 oz.
Babyganics might not be the first brand that comes to mind when you think about natural baby shampoo, but that doesn’t make it any less good compared to its competition. The product is filled with plenty of amazing ingredients, and it doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates, or artificial dyes and fragrances.
It’s a product that makes quite a bit of foam, at least compared to the other natural product we’ve reviewed here, but even if it uses natural ingredients, it can still cleanse your baby’s scalp, hair, and body. Babyganics has created NeoNourish, which is a blend of five ingredients: red raspberry, black cumin, cranberry, tomato, and sunflower. Aside from that, it also contains cucumber extract, avocado fruit extract, and aloe vera leaf juice.
Even if it’s advertised as fragrance-free, the mixture of ingredients does leave a scent, but it’s a pleasant and refreshing one. The product doesn’t trigger any allergies, and it has been tested by pediatricians and dermatologists alike.
Who Should Purchase This?
We all know that babies are high-maintenance, which means that a lot of parents look for deals on products that are required for the baby’s well-being. If you’re interested in a bargain to buy, this natural shampoo and body wash is available in a convenient pack of three bottles at a really good price per unit.
- Good value.
- Foaming wash.
- 2-in-1 product.
- Less time rinsing.
- Gentle on skin.
- Good for eczema.
- Not tear-free.
BareBaby Organics Shampoo & Body Wash
- Key ingredients: cucumber fruit extract, ginger root extract, kiwi extract
- Good for: eczema, sensitive skin, cradle cap
- Product quantity: 16 oz.
BareBaby Organics is here with a 2-in-1 product that’s absolutely amazing. It meets all the standards of the most pretentious parents that want the best natural products for their babies. It is a family-owned business that was launched by two parents trying to do right by their children.
The formula created used organic and natural ingredients that are safe on the baby’s scalp. Aloe vera leaf juice is added to make sure that the scalp and skin of your baby are moisturized and hydrated. The combination of cucumber, parsley, and ginger will strengthen the hair strand and stimulate blood circulation. The mixture of orange and grapefruit essential oils is there to make sure the product has a nice pleasant scent, without using added fragrance.
As expected, the creators of this brand left out all the ingredients that might cause irritations or be harsh on a child’s skin. Therefore, the BareBaby Organics shampoo doesn’t have any parabens, phthalates, sulfates, dyes, or gluten. The product is simply an amazing result of natural ingredients blended together by a couple of parents who want what’s best for their children.
Who Should Purchase This?
Our editor’s choice products are usually about giving good products who are not that popular a chance. The BareBaby Organics shampoo and body wash is a product based on natural ingredients that plant-derived and easy on your baby’s scalp. We really think this product should be more popular.
- Fresh scent.
- Cleans sebum.
- Good for adults.
- Good for eczema.
- Delicate with sensitive skin.
- Lathers well.
- Dries hair.
The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash
- Key ingredients: orange peel extract, vanilla fruit extract, aloe vera leaf juice
- Good for: allergy-prone skin, daily use
- Product quantity: 10 oz.
The last product on our list for the day comes from The Honest Company, and it’s another 2-in-1 product that’s designed for body and hair, with a delicious smell and a baby-safe formula. Founded by famous actor Jessica Alba, the company is focused on delivering quality products at convenient prices, so let’s talk a little bit about what this product has to offer.
First of all, it has a formula created without any dyes, phthalates, parabens, or synthetic fragrances, which are basically every parent’s nightmare when it comes to products for their babies. Without being tested on animals, this hypoallergenic product is tear-free and brings together plenty of natural ingredients with proven benefits for the hair and skin.
Safe for daily use, the product combines ingredients like coconut oil, Matricaria flower extract, vanilla fruit extract, and tangerine peel extract so that the skin will get vitamins and nourishment as it deserves. While this specific shampoo smells like sweet orange vanilla, you can also opt for scents like sweet almond, lavender, or the fragrance-free product.
Who Should Purchase This?
Babies are often paired with hypoallergenic formulas because parents aren’t willing to take the risk of using any products that could contain irritating ingredients (and we can’t blame them). If you’re one of those parents and you want a product without any ingredients that can trigger an allergic reaction, The Honest Company shampoo is the wisest choice.
- Leaves hair soft.
- Great for sensitive skin.
- Easy to rinse.
- Good for oily hair.
- Unscented version available.
- Not efficient on adult hair.
Picking a natural shampoo for your baby might sound like a hassle, but the truth is there are many amazing products that you can choose from. The one thing that you have to remember is to always read the ingredients list before making a purchase. If you really want the best product for your child, you can also research each ingredient in particular, to see the benefits of using it are good for your baby as well.
You should remember that one of the most important aspects of buying a product for a baby is making sure that it doesn’t contain any chemicals. These are harsh even on adult skin, so you can only imagine what they’d do to a baby’s sensitive skin.
There’s also the option to just skip everything and make your own. Read more here on our site for tips and ideas for natural shampoo recipes and how to make natural baby shampoo.