Are your underarms feeling a little irritated? Perhaps you find that you are having more and more reactions to your current deodorant because of the dyes and perfumes. Synthetic materials can cause those with sensitive skin to have negative reactions in numerous forms. You might find that your underarms are bumpy and red or itchy and raised patches of skin.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it may be time to switch over to a natural deodorant. Natural deodorants are made using only organic and green ingredients with no artificial or synthetic materials to be found. While some people experience reactions to even natural deodorant, there are products on the market that are made for those with sensitive skin and they are still considered a natural deodorant.
Best Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin Comparisons
|Crystal Essence Deodorant Roll-On||Check The Price|
|Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant with Lavender||Check The Price|
|Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant Stick||Check The Price|
|Native Deodorant||Check The Price|
|Meow Meow Tweet Lavender Deodorant Cream||Check The Price|
A Closer Look
Even if your reasoning for switching to a natural deodorant is for other reasons, such as reducing your carbon footprint or wanting to live a more organic lifestyle which includes your skincare; there is a deodorant for you! These natural deodorants can also make the transition from a commercial brand to a natural formula smoother.
Interested yet? Then read on because we are breaking down the best natural deodorants for those with sensitive skin.
How Do You Choose the Right Natural Deodorant?
Choosing a natural deodorant is a process because of the vast number of products in this market sector. You want a formula that contains no aluminum and synthetic material such as perfumes and the ingredients used to solidify most brands.
Look for products that contain coconut oil or coconut butter as their base because these are natural moisturizers and will soothe the skin rather than irritate it. Stay free of dyes and perfumes and instead look for a product that contains essential oils in inviting scents such as lavender or rose to mask body odor.
Products that contain clay can also help with the transition between natural and commercial deodorants as it will naturally stop wetness from forming in the underarm, leaving you cool and dry for the day.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Natural Deodorants
Like any product, there are advantages and disadvantages to natural deodorants that should be considering before making the transition. Always factor in that these products aren’t synthetic so it may take time for your body to adjust to using something different.
If you experience a bad reaction such as a rash when switching to a natural deodorant, then stop using it immediately and seek medical advice if necessary.
- Zero synthetic ingredients such as paraben and aluminum.
- Zero artificial perfumes and dyes to create the scent of the deodorant.
- Your sweat glands and pores will not be plugged up by aluminum which reduces your risk of blockages that can be painful, itchy and red.
- Sensitive skin reacts better to natural ingredients that are used in the construction of natural deodorants such as coconut oil, coconut butter and essential oil fragrances.
- The biggest complaint is how natural deodorant can stain clothing and cause a bleach-like effect.
- Where most natural deodorants are in either spray, roll-on or cream (balms) forms; they can take longer to dry and soak through clothing at a faster speed.
What to Look For
If the deodorant you are considering does not actually state that it is a natural deodorant; that is fine as long as it is aluminum and paraben free. As long as you can pronounce all the ingredients, then it is a natural deodorant.
Look for formulas that contain some sort of cream or balm as the base while ensuring that the fragrance comes from essential oils or the essence of something (think rose essence or orange essential oils). If the deodorant you are considering switching to has these factors, then it is considered a natural deodorant.
To further reduce your carbon footprint, then look for those in minimal packaging that focuses more on the product then the marketing. Refillable crocks or sprays are popular among natural deodorant users. Another option is to make your own natural deodorant and the tutorials can be found all over the web! Like our easy recipes. Check out our DIY version here!
Before Using Natural Deodorant
When switching a product from something that you have used for years to something that is new and unknown; it is always a good idea to follow some tips to make it smoother and cause less irritation to the skin – which is the reason you are switching in the first place!
Use the following tips or a combination of them to make the transition smoother:
- Understand that heavy sweat at the beginning of the transition is normal and that having hot baths or showers can open the sweat glands more to encourage sweating. This should stabilize within approximately a month to six weeks.
- Body odor is normal and when switching to a natural deodorant that does not contain artificial fragrances, you will smell yourself more but eating a balanced diet and using a natural deodorant with essential oil fragrances will help eliminate this problem.
- If you have sensitive skin, do not apply natural deodorant after shaving and use a dabbing motion instead of swiping one to coat the underarms in deodorant. When it comes to natural deodorant – less is more!
Top 5 Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin Reviews
Crystal Essence Deodorant Roll-On
- Size: 2.25 ounces of product
- Key Ingredients: Mineral salt
- Features: Roll-on design
The Crystal Essence Deodorant is a natural deodorant that is safe to use on sensitive skin and comes in a roll-on formula. This deodorant contains chamomile and green tea essential oils to offer odor protection without any artificial scents. The base of this product is mineral salt which eliminates the need for aluminum and parabens in the formula for long-lasting wetness protection.
This is a wet formula, so allow it to fully dry before getting dressed and apply to clean skin only. A few simple swipes of this deodorant and you are ready to go! It can be reapplied throughout the day if too feel you need a couple extra layers of protection or the weather is extremely humid.
Who Should Purchase This?
This formula is best for someone who would want scent and wetness protection that lasts throughout the day. Someone who already has experience using a liquid formula would find this the best deodorant for transitioning to a natural deodorant.
- No artificial chemicals are used.
- Can be used multiple times a day if necessary.
- Comes in a convenient size for travel or office use.
- It is a roll-on formula, so there’s a longer drying time.
- Camisole scent can be too strong for some who doesn’t not like musky scents.
Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant with Lavender
- Size: 2.7 ounces
- Key Ingredients: Coconut oil, shea butter, and Candelilla wax
- Features: Moisturizing
Want a natural deodorant that does it all – wetness protection, odor protection, and moisturizing plus wins awards for natural deodorants? Then you want to check out Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant with lavender essential oils. This formula contains coconut oil, organic shea butter and Candelilla Wax to offer moisturizers to the skin of the underarm.
It claims to last up to 24 hours, which eliminates the need for reapplication over and over with natural essential oil of lavender to provide a soft scent that doesn’t overpower the senses. Still not sold? Then you can purchase a one-ounce bottle to try before committing to a full-size bottle to save money!
It is also made using organic baking soda to absorb any wetness that is normally felt throughout the day or during those hot muggy days of summer!
Who Should Purchase This?
This deodorant is recommended to someone who needs to add a little bit of moisture to their skin and would like a formula that offers scent protection along with wetness protection.
- Coconut oil, shea butter and wax offer natural moisturizing properties for the skin, allowing the skin to breathe and reduces irritation.
- Lavender essential oil adds a light but natural scent to cover up body odor.
- Can be purchased in full-size and travel sized bottles for convenience.
- Baking soda can cause irritation to some skin types.
- The solid formula can leave a residue on clothes.
Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant Stick
- Size: 2.65 ounces
- Key Ingredients: Shea butter and baking soda
- Features: Variety of delicious scents
Want a solid formula that contains a citrusy scent to wake you up in the mornings while applying your deodorant? Want a formula that contains organic baking soda to combat irritating wetness? Want a formula that is free of added chemicals and will not irritate the skin? Then you want the Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant Stick with bergamot and lime essential oils.
This formula has nothing but positive reviews and will leave you feeling dry and fresh; even on the hottest day of summer! To make it a solid formula, shea butter is used which is a great moisturizer and barrier for those with sensitive skin while baking soda stops any natural sweating from coming through your clothing!
Not a fan of bergamot or lime scents? Then you can also try this great formula in lavender and invoke the outdoors or coconut pineapple to bring a taste of the tropics to your lifestyle.
Who Should Purchase This?
This formula is recommended to someone who wants a similar consistency as their commercial deodorant and would enjoy a wider range of scents in their natural deodorant.
- Shea butter offers a moisturizer to prevent irritation of the skin.
- Organic baking soda and a small amount of mineral salt fights against wetness and leaves the underarms dry to the touch.
- Less is more for this formula, allowing one purchase to last for months.
- Can be purchased in different scents to suit the customer’s personality and preference.
- Baking soda can cause irritation on those with severe sensitive skin.
- Can leave a residue on clothing. Always allow the formula to dry!
- Size: 2.65 ounces
- Key Ingredients: Shea butter, organic coconut oil, milk of magnesia
- Features: Vegan friendly
Native Deodorant was originally started in San Francisco and is hand poured right in the United States and is aluminum, paraben, and sulfate free. It’s ideal for anyone who has sensitive skin and works for all ages. It’s not tested on animals and is 100% cruelty free. All-natural ingredients include coconut oil, baking soda, tapioca starch, ozokerite, milk of magnesia, and shea butter. All of which are meant to keep you smelling fresh while soothing the tender skin of your underarms.
Who Should Purchase This?
This product is affordable and great for all ages, making it ideal for families who want to change from their conventional products to something more environmentally friendly and safe, while being all-natural.
- Can be used on all ages and genders with natural ingredients that will suit anyone.
- Comes in BPA free packaging to fully reduce your carbon footprint and plastic waste.
- Offers moisture protection and odor protection using baking soda and essential oils.
- Comes with free shipping.
- The baking soda can cause some irritability to those who have extremely sensitive skin.
Meow Meow Tweet Lavender Deodorant Cream
- Size: 2.4 ounces
- Key ingredients: Coconut oil, arrowroot powder and magnesium
- Features: Cream consistency
For those who have extremely sensitive skin to the point that even natural, organic baking soda could irritate it and those with skin that is irritated by a swiping motion; you want to check out this natural deodorant. The Meow Meow Tweet Lavender Deodorant Cream is baking-soda free, using coconut oil, arrowroot powder and magnesium to protect the user against wetness.
Natural, organic lavender essential oils offer a nice scent that isn’t overpowering but instead soothing and invokes feelings of calm. Not the biggest fan of lavender scents? Then you can try this formula with grapefruit essential oils in the mixture for a citrus scent that provides an energy boost!
The creamy formula is both a moisturizer and deodorant, allowing sensitive underarms to be soothed. The cream formula provides a barrier between the skin and any irritants that you may come into contact with on a daily basis.
Use only a pea-sized amount on the underarms and allow the cream to warm up using your body heat before application. Gently rub the deodorant cream into the skin using a circular motion for the best results.
Who Should Purchase This?
This formula would be recommended for women or men who have already experienced a negative reaction to baking soda and would like to avoid it in their natural deodorant.
- All organic ingredients that doesn’t include baking soda or mineral salt is suited for those who suffer from sensitive skin or skin conditions.
- Cream formula offers barrier protection against irritants while providing natural moisture to the skin.
- Lavender scent evokes feelings of calm and can relieve anxiety that is felt on a daily basis.
- Cream formulas can be messy and can leave a residue on the skin and/or clothing.
Just because you have sensitive skin; it doesn’t mean that you can’t use natural deodorants and have to stay away from them! There are products out there for those who suffer from this ailment and they are available for both men and women!
If you are seeing a dermatologist for your skin sensitivity issues; then why not approach the topic of switching to a natural deodorant with them? They might have a brand or ingredient list in mind that would best suit your skin’s needs.
As you can see, there are multiple products on the market; especially considering we only touched on five of them! Did you find this article helpful and interesting? Then feel free to share with your family and friends. Do you have a brand or type of natural deodorant that works amazing on your sensitive skin? Then let us know in the comments below!